Saturday, November 5, 2016

Book Review: Mr. President by Katy Evans




He's won the hearts of millions. But is he willing to lose his?

I met the president’s son when we were both young. Matthew Hamilton was handsome, polished, and intelligent. I’d never met a guy like him.

He promised me that he’d never run for president. I promised that if he did, I’d be by his side.

Three terms later, an invitation to join Matthew Hamilton’s campaign is the most exhilarating opportunity I’ve ever experienced. I'm determined to make a difference; he is determined to win.

Focused on his goal, Matt is steadfast, ruthless, and disarming. All eyes are on him and his popularity is surging. But soon, the next possible president of the United States is possessing me in more ways than one—and despite the risks, I'm helpless to resist.

We're stealing touches, stealing moments, and stealing away at night. But our chemical connection is quickly becoming dangerously combustive, putting not only my heart, but Matt's chance at the presidency on the line.

Winning will take everything. Walking away will be the hardest thing of all.

REVIEW: 3.5 Stars
"She's been more concerned about a scandal than I have all this time. More concerned with making sure that the man the country sees is the one she makes me want to be."

I have been so excited for a political read and Mr. President by Katy Evans came at just the right time. Real was my first book hangover ever and I have always wanted more from her. The angst was there and the love was all consuming and powerful. I wanted that with this book....I hoped for it.

While I didn't feel the angst at all, I definitely felt the love in this one. Matt and Charlotte had a dangerous and insatiable pull and they didn't seem to be able to get enough of each other. You can actually feel the need between them. It's such a powerful pull that they both cannot deny it, whether they want to, or not....they simply cannot. Their desire surpasses any logic on all levels and you can feel the draw they have towards one another. This was a love that I wanted to see unfold and see how it went. I liked seeing what their attraction did to them....how it made them act, speak and think. 

The characters were written well, overall. Charlotte was not a bitchy or whiny character, and for that I am grateful. She was a strong woman that thought quickly on her feet and she definitely had a good head on her shoulders. Matt was a swoony guy that had some unexpected goal changes based on what happened in his life and he was really commendable when it came to his character. He was sexy and determined and definitely a strong guy, based on what we know of him so far. I hope for a little more depth when we get the rest of the story on them though.

The downside, I felt, was the constant back and forth of the "Should I? I can't. Can I? I won't" between these two characters. Charlotte was admirable in her attempt to stay away for the good of his campaign, but her heart really couldn't do it...her mind couldn't either. I understand 100% why it was the way it was, but the back and forth was nerve grating at some point. The age gap between them definitely showed a few times as well, but I have always loved a forbidden love, be it age or job related. 

In the beginning, I felt the book was a tad bit slow and I didn't really start to enjoy it until around the 35% mark....but I knew it was going to pick up. I am glad I stuck it out because it was a good holdover book. Since this is a duet and not a standalone, I feel like I am in a holding pattern right now and will be able to better determine my feelings on the storyline and the book/series as a whole when I get the rest of the story. But, aside from the weird analogies, they very "odd" gift she bought for the dog (yes, that sticks out!!) and the minor timeline issues, this was an enjoyable book and I got really into it in some spots. 

I want to say....the sexy times were just that; SEXY. They were seriously HOT together. I do like that their relationship made me remember the first looks, the first touches and the giddiness after the first kiss. It also reminded me of the stupid risks we took just to steal time together. I am definitely looking forward to the rest of their story when it comes out in January 2017. Make sure to add Commander in Chief to your TBR: http://bit.ly/2e9wzvu

"I'm running for the most powerful office in the land. Ironic that I can't promise something as simple as my love to her."
~BEE

EDIT: After signing up for this tour and being promise BOTH books in the surprise duet, I was denied the second book in the series by Social Butterfly PR and/or Katy Evans, so I did NOT finish this series. 


Purchase Links:




 ~MEET KATY EVANS~
Hey! I’m Katy Evans and I love family, books, life, and love. I’m married with two children and three dogs and spend my time baking, walking, writing, reading, and taking care of my family. Thank you for spending your time with me and picking up my story. I hope you had an amazing time with it, like I did. If you’d like to know more about books in progress, look me up on the Internet, I’d love to hear from you!

~CONNECT WITH KATY~

FACEBOOK     AMAZON     GOODREADS     TWITTER     WEBSITE

ARC REVIEW

No comments:

Post a Comment