Sunday, November 15, 2015

Book Review for My Soul To Keep by Kennedy Ryan

MY SOUL TO KEEP

It seems the things worth keeping are often the hardest to hold...

KAI

I had two things in life that mattered. My mother and my music.
Mama was taken from me too soon, and now music is all I have left. It’s the thing that’s pushed me right out of backwoods Georgia into Los Angeles, where the line between fantasy and reality shimmers and blurs. I’m finally making my way, making my mark. I can’t afford to fall for one of music's brightest stars. Not now. Music is all I have left, and I’m holding on tight with both hands. I won’t let go, not even for Rhyson Gray.

RHYSON

I had one thing in my life that mattered – music. The only constant, it’s taken me to heights most people only dream about; a gift dropped in my lap at birth. I thought it was enough. I thought it was everything until I met Kai. Now she’s all I think about, like a song I can't get out of my head. If I have to chase her, if I have to give up everything - I will. And once she's mine, I won't let go.


◆     ◆     ◆     ◆     ◆     

REVIEW: 4.5 STARS

I get the sense that she's not so much playing hard to get as much as she actually is hard to get.

When I say I loved this book, I'm not sure I can accurately describe it enough. Awkward at some points, brilliant at others, sexy all the time. This book had a good mix of a headstrong woman, a cocky music star and an intense passion that was bigger than either of them could realize. You have two people being attracted on all levels, yet one is fighting the attraction.....and it doesn't appear that the fight is a winning fight. And that part I loved! That part made me smile as I read it.

This was my first book by Kennedy Ryan, and I must say that I enjoyed the pushing and pulling on the characters' emotions in this one. The angst was there; not HIGH, but not low....it was a very good mix of angst and tension. There was a slow build to Rhyson and Kai's relationship that kept me turning the pages and this was memorable for me because we got to see them grow within the comfort of their little bubble that pushed the outside world away. This was the perfect "get-to-know-you" stage in the book. It was funny and it made me laugh, but it was endearing and made me sigh. It also set up the rest of the book perfectly for the 'reality' of their new world. This book was a longer book, but it kept me engaged with everything going on....I never once thought that I needed to skim the pages. The buildup and culmination of their 'coming together' (no pun intended....I think) was no let down. I think the emotions that ran high were valid. I think the arguments had were not one-sided, which means it didn't feel like made-up drama (yay!). It really was an all around great book. I'm hooked!

I do want to explain that it started out super sad and a little slow for me, but the pickup was great. I really didn't want to put this book down and even found myself talking to the characters. Seriously. I was telling Kai to NOT do that and to see that from Rhyson's point of view. I wanted to shake her and I wanted to kick him in the knee at various times. But really, the sentiment and emotion that pushed these two to new heights was so palpable and alluring. The smart-assery that was involved was spot on! I love a book that is sexy and engaging, and it's always a win when it's funny as well. This was definitely a win for me!!

However, I feel that I need to say....the wait until March 2016 will be the very slow death of me. I need to find out what is going on. I need to know how this all shifts and ends. I am a new fan of Kennedy Ryan's and am anxious to read the conclusion to Rhyson and Kai's story.

Remember, I have a giveaway on the FACEBOOK post I posted my review on. Enter there!!!

Angst and happiness,
~Bee

~PURCHASE~

~About Kennedy Ryan~

I just can't write about myself in third person for one more bio! I'm a wife, a mom, a writer, an advocate for families living with autism. That's me in a nutshell. Crack the nut, and you'll find a Southern girl gone Southern California who loves pizza and Diet Coke, and wishes she got to watch a lot more television. 

You can usually catch me up too late, on social media too much, or FINALLY putting a dent in my ever-growing To Be Read list!

~CONNECT WITH KENNEDY~

Facebook    Amazon    Goodreads    Twitter    Instagram    Website

No comments:

Post a Comment