Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Book Review for Out of the Ashes by RC Boldt



Phoenix /fēniks/: (in classical mythology) a unique bird inhabiting the Arabian Desert that burned itself on a funeral pyre before rising from the ashes with renewed youth to live through another cycle.

This isn’t mythology, it’s war, and Hendy is left in the hands of Hell’s cruelest gatekeepers.

His team is killed before his very eyes, and despite his efforts to save them, he’s captured and subjected to merciless torture—losing virtually every piece of his identity but his pulse.

After his rescue, he returns home from Afghanistan, saddled with facing the daunting task of healing his physical scars as well as the invisible ones—his emotional demons.

Dr. Presley Cole isn’t one to shy away from a challenge. Embarking on a new journey, she makes it her mission to prove to Hendy that his life isn’t over; that he’s worthy of love.

Because sometimes even a phoenix needs help to rise…

Out of the Ashes.


REVIEW: 3.5-4 STARS
"I see you."

Once again, RC Boldt has shared a love story that gave me butterflies and massive smiles. I really enjoy the stories that I've read of hers so far. I loved Clam Jam and now I can add Out of the Ashes to that list! I am going to jump backwards and dive into Out of Love here soon because there is a character I want to "meet" in that book. RC Boldt is most definitely on my "to read" list now. 

ALL OF THE CHARACTERS in this series are ones that I am most definitely excited to be reading more of. I really liked that she utilized ALL of them in this story too. The depth of her characters are really well done. I think it's safe to say that I want to read this entire series, from start to finish. I have fallen in love with Cristiano Hendrixson. Ok? I admit it! "Hendy" is a strong character with admirable traits and he has SO much confidence, but that confidence is marred by his physical appearance and the emotional side effects of what happened to him -- the left over results of being held a prisoner and tortured. What a life, right? And to make it back alive, but still have a constant reminder of your torture has to be a difficult thing to recover from. He is an absolute gentleman. He really was a huge draw for me in this book, and one of the things that made me swoon hard for him was that he was so strong and so alpha mixed into one complex character, but he was so soft and so perfectly sweet on Presley as well. Seriously, so swoony!!! I'm *SO* in love with him and the way he opened up and fell for her. The way he treated her like the princess she was in his eyes, it was so perfect!! So sigh-worthy. He was such a lovable character. 

Presley found herself falling for her patient, yet morally bound to her fiancé. Interesting storyline for sure and you know me...I love these kinds!! Well, it was a little more cut and dry than that, so no angst or nail biting happening on my end, but her fiancé was 100% douche-nozzle material and I am so glad she saw that really quick. Parts of Presley's personality were strong and quirky, fun and admirable, but she had a loving side that was so strong and caring. She really is everyone's friend, and she was so fun to laugh with and laugh at. She, to me, was real and I liked that about her. I would most definitely like to hang out with her!

THESE TWO CHARACTERS had a journey that wasn't easily navigable and crossing a professional/moral boundary provided some drama for them to get through. With all their roadblocks, some feelings were hurt, but in the end it was worth the bumpy ride. I loved their relationship. I loved the dipping of the toes ever so slowly into the waters and the excitement behind a new relationship. I got all the smiles and giddiness from these two falling in love. I loved how they held back, but cautiously moved forward. I also felt the pain these two endured while trying to find their footing and trying to negotiate a relationship with all these hinderances. I just wanted to hug Hendy for everything he was going through....Boldt made it understandable and relatable, and heartbreakingly so.

This book was really really good.....and I know you are wondering why I have a 3.5 star on something that I can sing praises about and will easily and happily recommend. Well, I hate....I loathe....I detest made up drama or unnecessary drama in books. It is one of my pet peeves....drama for the sake of drama. This book did not have a ton of it and I am not saying that it did, but there was some added in that just made me roll my eyes while reading it. I know that Hendy is self-conscious about his scarring, and I know that causes some discord between him and Presley as well. It's a hard thing to accept and deal with, and knowing there are people out there that stare and ask questions, that adds to that self-consciousness on every level. What I don't get (and maybe it's just me) is that there are people that would honestly call him out and stand up to him, mocking him, taunting him on the streets? Again, maybe it's just the grown-up in me questioning why any <mature> adult would do this....but then to have them run away cowering? Doesn't make sense to me and didn't add value to the storyline in that manner. It's a trend I just don't like to see. I know it enforced his disgust for people to see his face the way it is, but it just struck me as odd, because it happened a few times and that was it -- but it's not an explorable avenue, so it's just a way to make me as a reader pissy. I don't like that, that's all. Personal preference. 

And the other thing I honestly didn't enjoy was the over-used backstory of the parents of the main characters that try to dictate or govern their kids' life. Again, not super dominant in this storyline, but it still leaves a salty taste in my mouth. I'm most definitely over that trend because if you are strong in your every day decisions; you run your own business, fall in love, stand up to douche-nozzle men and have a beautiful confidence and make daily decisions in your own life.....why do you let your parents influence or cause problems in it? I just don't get it. I don't. I am *so* glad she had the inner-strength that she did. I found that to be very admirable. She made a decision and stuck to it; professionally and personally. Again, just personal preference.

I love RC's wit. I love her banter. I love the seriousness and the truths behind her characters. She writes everything I look for in a book that keeps me interested and continually turning the pages and seeking more. RC Boldt is definitely on my list of more books that have to be read. I am loving what I've read of her so far. She is a two-time win for me, and she is easily recommendable for me because she has a relatable ease to her storytelling and she makes me swoon while reading her love stories. Bring on Kane's story....I'm ready!!!! I'm hoping his story will be told in Out of Hope, the third book in this series. I need more. I want more. I will have more!!! I am loving these characters of hers!

"Because you make me feel everything."
~BEE


PURCHASE LINKS:
Google Play: https://goo.gl/UqoM87

~MEET RC BOLDT~
RC Boldt is the wife of Mr. Boldt, a retired Navy Chief, mother of Little Miss Boldt, and former teacher of many students. She currently lives on the southeastern coast of North Carolina, enjoys long walks on the beach, running, reading, people watching, and singing karaoke. If you're in the mood for some killer homemade mojitos, can't recall the lyrics to a particular 80's song, or just need to hang around a nonconformist who will do almost anything for a laugh, she's your girl.

~CONNECT WITH RC~

FACEBOOK     AMAZON     GOODREADS     TWITTER

ARC REVIEW

No comments:

Post a Comment