Friday, April 21, 2017

Review for The Gravity of Us by Brittainy Cherry


THE GRAVITY OF US
by BRITTAINY CHERRY

Graham Russell and I weren’t made for one another.

I was driven by emotion; he was apathetic. I dreamed while he lived in nightmares. I cried when he had no tears to shed.

Despite his frozen heart and my readiness to run, we sometimes shared seconds. Seconds when our eyes locked and we saw each other’s secrets. Seconds when his lips tasted my fears, and I breathed in his pains. Seconds when we both imagined what it would be like to love one another.

Those seconds left us floating, but when reality knocked us sideways, gravity forced us to descend.

Graham Russell wasn’t a man who knew how to love, and I wasn’t a woman who knew how to either. Yet if I had the chance to fall again, I’d fall with him forever.

Even if we were destined to crash against solid ground.


REVIEW: 3+ Stars
"She was my freedom, yet I was her cage."

This was the fourth and final book in the Elements series; I am so sad to see it has come to an end. I have loved this entire series, but I am mostly sad about how I felt about this book. I loved the message that was conveyed, I loved the characters, and I even loved some of the drama that happened during it. I was able to figure out the twist rather quickly (ARGH!), but I still finished the book because I wanted to see how it all played out. I will admit that I almost DNF'd this one, but I am glad I stuck it through. The epilogue alone was worth the follow through. I smiled and teared up at one point as well. It was most definitely a worthy book, so let me try to explain my happiness and sadness about how I felt about it.

The characters were great in this book! While exaggerated a bit, I could feel the emotions and the pain that was conveyed throughout the scenes. It was evident that these two souls were polar opposites of epic proportions, but they worked so well together. Lucy was a very strong character. Her perceived weakness was truly her obvious strength. She was a modern day hippie and loved with all her heart and forgave within an inch of her soul. She really was so fun to read. She handled things so differently than I would normally, but I think that is what I loved most about her. She was such a kind spirit. She has the makings of a best friend!

Graham starts out as this super broody, no-feelings-having recluse that is held captive by his past. He hides behind his pain. He suffocates his weakness by strangling his emotions....but he's finally learning to let himself breathe. Lucy's teaching him how to take that breathe again. I love that Lucy was the one to break through to him and teach him about love and the way that it was so unassuming was my favorite part. She was the perfect person for him. Her carefree "hippie" personality made me smile because she just exuded happiness. Though Graham did soften right up once he stopped denying his feelings, it was a work in progress with him.

"She was the one thing off-limits, and the only thing I'd ever craved."

So what bothered me if I loved the storyline and the characters so much? I struggled with a few things. Sadly, I didn't feel this intense love between the two characters until the very end, which is weird because I read it throughout the entire book. I am not sure what the disconnect was, but I know that the jerk in Graham didn't know how to let the sweetness in Lucy invade his ever so conditioned life. He was so regimented. I read it. I knew they were falling for each other. I just didn't feel it. It was almost disjointed at times. This was a verrrry slow build up to Graham and Lucy's HEA, but their HEA was well deserved nonetheless. And it was a HEA for the books....their chapter was a beautiful one.

The arguments were seriously ridiculous, and quite frankly, over the top. I hate when a book makes me feel 'angry' because of someone's actions/reactions. Not in the way that would make me dive deeper in the book with excitement; no. Angry because the drama that happened was piled on super thick. The actions by disturbingly cold spouses, by obnoxiously rude parents, by angry hurt men, and by despicable siblings was a huge turn off. The basis for the story was absolutely perfect and I loved the storyline itself. I really did, but when you immediately argue over trivial stuff in front of others instead of respecting each other like logical adults, it makes me cringe. It just does. All the sibling/spouse/boyfriend fights, it was a little over the top/immature/too selfish for me.

After building up this final book in my head, I feel a little let down. I'm sure that is my fault, ultimately, and I hate that I did that or feel this way. While all of her books that I have read have been emotional and somewhat over the top in the drama department, I have still been able to enjoy all of them. This one was no different, and I truly enjoyed it for the most part; I was just hoping for more. This is NOT a negative review. While it may sound overly critical, the main thing to remember is I really did like the emotional and heartfelt parts of this book. One of my favorite things was the realization that it was the little things that made the biggest difference. Lucy fought hard for Graham's heart while he fought hard to hide it. It was a beautiful message that Lucy delivered, but I was hoping for more overall. Does this curb my desire to read her books? Nope. Not even a little bit. I look forward to her next book and can't wait to see what she comes up with.

"Air above me, earth below me, fire within me, water surround me, sprit becomes me."
Bee


Start the Series of Standalones Today!

The Air He Breathes


The Fire Between High and Low


The Silent Waters (Now ONLY 99¢!)


The Gravity of Us



~MEET BRITTAINY CHERRY~
Brittainy Cherry has been in love with words since the day she took her first breath. She graduated from Carroll University with a Bachelors Degree in Theatre Arts and a minor in Creative Writing. She loves to take part in writing screenplays, acting, and dancing--poorly of course. Coffee, chai tea, and wine are three things that she thinks every person should partake in! Brittainy lives in Milwaukee, Wisconsin with her family. When she's not running a million errands and crafting stories, she's probably playing with her adorable pets.

~CONNECT WITH BRITTAINY~

FACEBOOK     AMAZON     GOODREADS     TWITTER


ARC REVIEW

No comments:

Post a Comment