Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Dual Book Review for The Torn Duet by Mia Kayla


TORN BETWEEN TWO

I believe in fairy tales — the kind where a knight in shining armor sweeps me off my feet. Coming from a broken home, fairy tales housed the hope I clung to. Never in my life did I imagine two knights coming into my life— two knights that wore very different armor.

A rockstar versus a lawyer.
Fast and furious versus deliberate and calculated.
Intense and passionate versus strong and devoted.
Chaos versus stability.

I fell in love with one in the craziness of a concert.
I fell in love with the other in the silence of his compassion.

And now I am Torn Between Two.


CHOOSING FOREVER

Life is made up of choices.
Single choices like bricks laid out in a path. A path that leads to your future.

At twenty four years old, I would have never guessed I would be stuck between two men—two men from opposite spectrums of the universe.
Their lives, their worlds, their demeanor is as different as the darkest of nights and the lightest of days.

I love them both, but I have to choose.
There is only one choice I can make.
And I choose forever.


REVIEW: 4/5 stars
"He loved me. There was no doubt. He loved me with all of his being, and in that moment, in the silence, I knew I'd fallen for him, too."

I LOVE TRIANGLES. If you've followed me for any length of time, you would totally know this. I love the push and pull, the intense emotions from all parties involved, the undeniable draw to each person involved....because it's REAL! I don't really care for outright cheating; blatant disrespect for the person you are with. That's not the draw for me. The draw for me is the fact that even though you may be in a relationship, when your soulmate comes along, they make you question your understanding of love, your explanation of truth, your reality of the heart. THAT'S what I love. That's the draw for me.

The Torn Duet was my first read of Mia Kayla's, but it caught my eye because it was a TRIANGLE! Yes, admittedly, the trope sucked me right in. The part that actually piqued my interest was that she pitted a LAWYER and a ROCKSTAR against each other. How messed up is that? It's great, isn't it!!? HAHAHA!! I mean, let's think about this for a moment; could you just imagine the differences between these two?? Stability vs the unknowing; dominant vs playful; romantic vs wild rides. As I was reading it, I was seeing that I had it all wrong. While I was right about the wildness and the romance, the dominant and the playfulness, who knew that they both had it in spades!!? I loved seeing the different qualities they both had to offer. I could easily see how Sammy was stuck between both men. I can see how her heart was torn between these two and how she was powerless against her pull to each of them. Her internal struggles were loud, but the draw to "him" was eventually louder. I was a little nervous while reading it because it could have totally gone either way!!

HAWKE loved hard and fast. He always got what he wanted. He never settled and he never begged. If he wanted it, he got it. Period. His charisma was broad and his smile spoke to the masses. His confidence was sexy.

JOSH loved quick and with his whole being. He was a smooth operator with calculated moves and he knew patience was a virtue. He also knew what he wanted and was going to get it, no matter what. His sincerity was potent and his honesty was wholehearted.

Now, both of these men were literally sex on a stick, and both brought a different dynamic to their relationship with Sam. She was weak when it came to both of these guys. I wish I could say that I would have been stronger than her, but sometimes there are certain aspects to a man that speak to us that no one else will understand. I chose ONE man pretty early on, but I will be honest and say that I was IN IT for the long haul. The first book was a slow start for me and I had to get acquainted to Mia's style of writing and quirkiness with her comparisons, but it was a great introduction to their storyline. I had a knotted stomach from the very beginning of the second book until I finished it. That is when the story picked up for me and then I was nothing more than a wide-eyed, chocolate-cake-eating MESS.  I read both of these books this weekend....and I'm not a fast reader at all! I was engrossed, and one thing Mia did was make sure to keep me guessing and creating a bond between each couple that had me biting my nails up until the very end. And it was an emotional ending, but very fitting. Whether you are #TeamHawke or #TeamJosh, they will both provide an emotional connection that makes you swoon hard.

Overall, Mia did a really good job introducing us to each man....allowing us to fall in love, and then throwing a wrench into the mix by providing us with emotional banter and consequences. Josh had stability while Hawke provided excitement. I saw the draw to both, problems and all. I saw Sam warring with herself, questioning logic and her heart. The questions and the unknowing and the uncertainty circled around, while she found herself entertaining the notion of each man. It was excitement mixed with fear. The first book, while starting out super shaky and had me a little concerned, finished up and rated a strong 3.5 star for me while the second book was a 4.5 star for me. The angst was great, and the finish of the their story was great.

I tried to wrap my head around the enormity of it all. What it meant, where it would lead us, when we’d see each other again. But thinking of it only made my head and heart and stomach hurt, all at the same time.
~BEE

PURCHASE:
TORN BETWEEN TWO: http://amzn.to/2pj1RnR

CHOOSING FOREVER: http://amzn.to/2piSF2Q

BOTH TITLES AVAILABLE IN KINDLE UNLIMITED



~MEET MIA KAYLA~
Mia Kayla is a New Adult/Contemporary Romance writer who lives in Illinois. 

On the weekdays, she can be caught wearing a suit, commuting to her corporate job in downtown Chicago and raising three beautiful munchkins in the suburbs, four if you count the husband. 

In her free time she loves reading romance novels, jamming to boy bands, catching up on celebrity gossip and designing flowers for weddings.

Most of the time, she can be caught on the train with her nose in a book sporting a cheeky grin because the main characters finally get their happily-ever-after at the end. 

She loves reading about happy endings but has more fun writing them.

To find out more about my upcoming release, sign up for my newsletter. Click here to sign up.

~CONNECT WITH MIA~

FACEBOOK     AMAZON     GOODREADS     TWITTER

PURCHASED BOOKS

No comments:

Post a Comment