Sunday, December 27, 2015

Book Review: Break Even by Lisa DeJong


BREAK EVEN

My story isn’t a love story … not the typical kind anyway.

As a lawyer, I’m used to discovery, but I never saw this one coming. 

Every day, River gives me ten reasons to stay away, and then eleven reasons why I can't. Our relationship was to remain strictly business, or at least I tried. 

Four years of marriage, and everything with Cole has changed. I never knew two people who lived together could be so distant. But I’m not ready to give up on him.

One man wants to break me.

The other is just trying to get even. 

Both are lying to me.


◆     ◆     ◆     ◆     ◆     ◆     
REVIEW: 5 TWISTY STARS

"Sometimes I wonder if things are really as bad as they seem, or if my idea of happy is just too much for him to give. Is my perception different than reality?"

First and foremost....I have to say WOW. I have read two other books of LDJ's, and I really enjoyed them, but this book solidified it. Easily now, she ranks up there as a must one click/must buy author. I really enjoyed this book. I spent days thinking about it....and I still get excited when I see new teasers for it. It's been a long time since a book has made me feel the emotions like this one did, and I have since recommended it repeatedly.

Ok, so when I say I love LOVE TRIANGLES, I really REALLY mean it. They are one of my favorite reads because the emotions are raw and real. There are so many varying factors to what causes things to happen, and I love to see how they play out. But this one.....was a triangle with a TWIST. So freaking good.

River and Marley had chemistry. REAL, emotionally charged chemistry. Marley was a very strong heroine and she had great character to her. I liked her a lot. But River.....oh River. He was the drug you couldn't give up. He was so addicting and so alluring and he made you just crave him. He was a smooth talker. He put Marley into some pretty.....interesting situations. I would have been slightly uncomfortable, but I still smiled. Still craved him. Still wanted more. And Marley? She handled it with class....but her emotions got the best of her. But, c'mon.....River? <sigh> Need I say more? I loved him. 


Watching the lines blur right before her very eyes was intense as she tried to navigate between right and wrong, between her head and her heart. Seeing it play out through her point of view was rough....I knew mentally she wanted it to stop, but I don't think she had the power to stop it emotionally. I loved the war inside her head and heart....I really did.

I cannot recommend this book enough.....and I will be gifting a copy on my FB post for it. Please make sure to follow along and enter to win. It was intense.....and angsty, but not crazy angsty. It was enough that I was giggling like a fool while reading it, and sighed at the end. It really was perfection in a book. It has also landed on my Favorites List for 2015. I loved it.

"The gasoline was already there; he simply threw in the match."
~Bee

 PURCHASE 

AMAZON US     AMAZON UK     iBOOKS     B&N


◆ EXCERPT 

“Do you shower yourself in arrogance every morning, Mr. Holtz? You may want to use a little less next time.” My toes curl in the water, but I hold my voice steady.

He grips my hips, sliding my body close to his. If his cock is any indication, he’s just as turned on by this back and forth as I am. “Just admit you like it. You like having someone take care of your every need. You like having all my attention, and you definitely like my cock.”

“River,” I breathe as he kisses a line from my jawline to my shoulder.

“Admit it. You like me,” he says, his lips moving against my skin. 

My fingers curl against his back. “Make me,” I taunt, enjoying the way he teases.

He groans, his lips pulling away from me. He stares, his eyes only inches from mine. He’s baiting the truth, but something tells me he already knows. And, I can’t stand that he’s not touching me, not when his words still play over and over in my head. I want to know what he’s capable of; it’s hard to believe I haven’t already seen and felt the best of him.

He cocks his head to the side, and I can’t take it. “I kind of like you. Now, kiss me.” As I hear my own words, I realize they’re true. I kind of like River Holtz, and I’m not quite sure how I feel about that.

“Kind of?” he asks, lifting his brow.

Damn him. If someone would have told me eleven days ago when River walked in my office that I’d be telling this man I like him let alone naked in his tub, I would have called them crazy. 

“I like you,” I blurt before pressing my lips to his. I’m completely consumed. Addicted.



◆     ◆     ◆     ◆     ◆     ◆     

~ABOUT LISA DeJONG~
Lisa De Jong is a wife, mother and full­-time number cruncher who lives in the Midwest. Her writing journey involved insane amounts of coffee and many nights of very little sleep but she wouldn't change a thing. She also enjoys reading, football and music.

~CONNECT WITH LISA~

FACEBOOK    AMAZON    GOODREADS    TWITTER    WEBSITE


5 comments:

  1. Great review!! Cannot wait to read this book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! This Review made me even more excited to read this! I love triangles, HEA , and different books :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to read this, and I love triangles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I love your review B! It made me even more excited to read it. I love HEA. I have got to read this to find out if love triangles will be my new favorite. I usually pity the one who is left with no partner. This makes me even more intrigued to read this after reading your review B. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete