Sunday, January 13, 2019

The Book Bee's Favorites List for 2018



THE BOOK BEE'S FAVORITES LIST FOR 2018

While I have loved many books this year, these ones stuck out and have taken over my smiles and my heart, and the ones that I still constantly think about. These are ones that I will not hesitate to share with anyone and love to discuss long after I've read them. I hope you enjoy.


TOP FAVORITE READ

Jewel E Ann tops my favorites list with her Transcend Duet. I had the biggest book hangover after reading this story and I found it very hard to move on. I was officially broken after I emerged from underneath the blanket I was hiding under while I read it. The angst was off the charts -  and we all know how much I love that. Not only did she give me a story that was out of my comfort zone with the intricacies behind the reality, but she gave me a love affair that was one of the most epic (epoch?) ways of seeing fate at work. The deep rooted reality behind emotion is embedded in her words.

When Jewel tells a story, she seems to breathe life into them.

The way Jewel tells a story is unlike any other - so don't be fooled by her innocence. I thought about Griffin, Swayze and Nate for a LONG long time after I was done. Jewel is an automatic recommendation from me. She has never let me down or steered me wrong. You want angst? She serves it up with panache.

"A single touch can say things twenty-six letters can't even begin to say."



FAVORITE NEW AUTHOR

My favorite new author I met this year would be Calia Read. For an author to take me on a journey like she has, in a completely new-to-me genre, that in and of itself is worthy. I remember when I received an invite to read and review THE SURVIVING TRACE. I was completely taken by the synopsis and the more I looked at it, the more I battled with myself about jumping in. I was afraid because new-to-me author, new genre, an unfinished series. I have my own reasons for not reading all three of those in ONE review, but an unfinished series is a big one for me, let alone a new genre. How will I remember the story? How will I not mix up details when the final book comes out?

Well, the world that Calia brought to life was nothing like I could have ever imagined. Her writing transported me to Belgrave and I saw the ballroom in all it's glory. I saw the fire that ripped the house apart. I saw the old house and the dresses and the dirt roads and the pond. I saw it all. But, the love that I felt was unlike any other I have ever read. EVEREver. It was nothing short of intoxicating. I have never been so sucked into a series as I have this one. This will sit on my ALL Time Favorites List from here on out....but I'm waiting for the third and final book so I can stop feeling like I'm in limbo!

"It's much like love. If it is pure and honest, it will find a way to survive no matter how impossible the circumstances are."

The Surviving Trace:    My review         Purchase 

The Reigning and the Rule:      My review         Purchase



OTHER FAVORITE NEW AUTHOR 

However, I couldn't only choose one. My other new favorite new-to-me author is R Scarlett. I got the chance to jump on the tour for FILTHY GODS and I was officially a goner. I fell in love - immediately. Her flow and her ability to tell me a story that I got all caught up in showed me that I found another author to put on my must read list.

The part that really shocked me was that this book was the prequel for an entire series and yet she was able to pack so much emotion and depth into this one story and had me craving more from the minute I closed the book. She built up this group of guys, their camaraderie and the strength in their convictions, and brought me to the brink....and now I crave more and haven't stopped thinking about the next books. With Gabe being the first book coming early 2019, I am super giddy!! I am ready to read more by her and look forward to what she has in store for my little heart.

"I'm a greedy, overachieving bastard, Juliette. I examined the risks and you're worth the fall."

My review for Filthy Gods       Purchase Filthy Gods

Add the SERIES to your TBR.


FAVORITE HEARTBREAK

I'm pretty sure that category title should give some sort of idea of what HEARTBREAK WARFARE by Kate Stewart and Heather Orgeron did to me. The book hangover with this one was intense and I remember the absolute pain I felt for all three characters involved.

Knowing this was a triangle helped ramp up the emotions for me, seeing as that's my favorite trope - but going through the pain of each character, individually? Well, that was written so convincingly well that I was able to honestly fall in love and break down over two different men. Knowing that I can't control the circumstances or the emotions that come with this type of storyline, that does it for me every time. I'm always excited when I find a triangle that makes me feel more than one emotion and this book did that for me.

"It shouldn't be this hard to love someone so much."



FAVORITE DARK READ

BLOODSTAINED BEAUTY by Ella Fields was a departure from her angsty, sexy stories that I'm used to reading by her and was a step onto the darker side of love. This was a welcome change, too. Not only did she have a twist at every turn, but she had me guessing the entire time I read it. I loved that this was a new genre for me, so I read it with wide eyes and a thirst for info. I don't read nearly enough DARK if this is what it will normally do to me! I was all twisted up!!

The crazy thing was, trying to write my spoiler free review was rather difficult. Entertaining, but it proved to be difficult. Every single tidbit of information I could have tried to discuss would have spoiled something - and you know me, I never spoil things. I was a fun review to write, but it was a challenge for sure and I laughed through it by the time I was done. Worthy book!!

"It was then I realized you could hate and love a person at the same time."



FAVORITE YA/NA

SUDDENLY FORBIDDEN by Ella Fields is angsty goodness in its purest form, which is why it's also on my favorites list. Ella is only one of TWO authors I willingly read YA/NA from. That age group is usually riddled with drama that isn't necessary and it drives me nuts so I tend to shy away from it more than read it. And I will admit, I was really worried about reading this book, but once I got into it and felt it (yes, felt), I knew that she was going to be an author I blindly followed into every book from here on out. She is on my list TWICE this year, after all.

This book started in high school and moved up into their first years of college, and I was completely smitten. This book was also the first book in her Gray Springs University series, and this turned into one of my favorite standalone series of the year. Bittersweet Always and Pretty Venom were the next two books, and again - all standalones, but I would recommend reading in order because the buildup going through each book to the next is intense. So soooo good. All three of them!! Painfully raw and gripping books, all showing young love at its finest.

"Funny how emotions and lust could blind you and make your focus narrow to only right then. Right now. Forget what could happen after."

MOST PAINFUL

All Your Perfects by Colleen Hoover was one of those books that simultaneously angered you and broke you. It wasn't an easy read and the pain saturated the pages. But there were lessons and truth, realities and love weaved in throughout as well. As painful as this book was, I will and have happily recommended it to as many people that are willing to listen to me.

This is the second year in a row Colleen has been on my favorites list for a book that not only brought me to my knees with an emotional gut-punch, but also because her stories are full of life. She gives me an immediate connection with the characters, a story that I can relate to, and she puts me through the wringer when she hands me the emotions I crave on a silver platter.

"Something so perfect could never become a regret."




MOST EMOTIONAL or LIFE CHANGING

LONG SHOT and BLOCK SHOT by Kennedy Ryan sit atop this list because of the impact she caused my soul. I absolutely loved these books, but feeling them from deep within? The way she emotes with her words? The urgency behind her stories? That makes it a little more special, to me. It's not easy tackling social issues, but she seems to do it with a grace that I've only seen by her. She isn't preaching...she's bringing me into this new world and effortlessly making me feel the anger, the pain, the fear, the truth, any emotion that goes along with her storyline on such a tactile, tangible level. And I love it. I seriously love it. She is one of a few authors that I can say I have read every single book of and can readily admit that I could have long drawn out conversations about every single one of them. 
 
The upside to the depth in Kennedy's books is that she has a purity to her words that ring true, no matter if the story drama affects you personally or not. The only downside to her depth is that I have to set time aside to process everything I read, because it is so heavy. She puts me in a book hangover with each of her books because of the heaviness to her storylines. I love her heaviness. I love her depth.  The third book in this interconnected standalone series is going to be Kenan and Lotus' story titled Hook Shot. I seriously cannot wait. She's killing me with the teasers she is putting out.

"If you ever want a man to keep dreaming, give him a glimpse of what could be."

My review for Long Shot                      Purchase Long Shot

My review for Block Shot                     Purchase Block Shot



FAVORITE ENDING TO A SERIES

LAKE + MANNING by Jessica Hawkins was an unexpected but very welcome second ending to her Something in the Way series, which was on my favorites list last year. There aren't very many authors that I trust to give me a taboo subject like this and have me greedily devour it and shamelessly recommend it. And to crawl through four books brimming with angst and teaming with anger, yet overflowing with love, and not question any of it? That's Jessica's books for me. I mean, not many authors can get me to root for a guy that traded sisters, but not only did I see why he did what he did (not excusing it), but I rooted them on with every fiber of my being. This was also the book series that had me hating a character so much, the jokes and discussions about her were, let's say.....passionate

"No matter what, the story would only ever be about us."



The Highlight of MY Year
I know I get the pleasure of going to a few signings each year, and I always enjoy that. I get to meet authors that I have gone gaga for. I've met other like-minded readers that have been supportive on my blog for years....some, for days. But the highlight of my year was meeting TWO other bloggers that have held my hand countless times over the years. Ones that have picked me up when I fell and comforted me when I have broken down.

I got to finally meet Jenn from Garden of REden and Mo from The Scarlet Siren in July when we all met up at Book Bonanza in Colorado. Mo and I laugh to this day about the fact that we never got a picture together. She was busy running around and I was too. But I treasure this picture of Jenn and Me. Always will. #Everything


Again and as always, I love to share with you what books touched me during the year. The ones that moved me and I couldn't stop reading. The ones that will permanently sit on my shelf of books that I can overwhelmingly and confidently recommend to you whole-heartedly and know that I can stand behind them and discuss them with you without abandon. These are my favorites for 2018. Thank you for sharing your time with me and allowing me to share the love of a good book, one review at a time....with you.

~Bee

8 comments:

  1. I like your list! I need to read most of these...some I have, some I'll have to add. Filthy Gods is the only one I've read so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thanks, Chris! I hope that you love the ones you do pick up!

      Delete
  2. I love your list !There are 4 booksI have not read Lake andManning by Jessica Hawkins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one was an amazing second ending to one of my favorite series!! I'm so glad you liked my list. <3

      Delete
  3. Awesome list Thanks for sharing all of these great sounding books and your thoughts about them with us 😍❤😍

    ReplyDelete